The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology (KNUST) is a fully-funded scholarship program that provides academically talented yet economically disadvantaged young people in Africa with access to quality education.
The program targets students from economically disadvantaged backgrounds who have demonstrated academic talent and a commitment to giving back to their communities. It provides comprehensive support including tuition fees, accommodation, books and supplies, transportation, and a monthly stipend.
The KNUST Mastercard Foundation Scholarship provides a comprehensive package of benefits that enables successful applicants to focus on their studies without having to worry about the financial burden of pursuing a higher education.
The KNUST Mastercard Foundation Scholarship provides a comprehensive package of benefits to successful applicants. Here are some of the benefits of the scholarship:
Full tuition fees: The scholarship covers the full cost of tuition for the duration of the undergraduate or master’s degree program.
Accommodation: The scholarship provides accommodation in a KNUST-approved student hostel or residence for the entire duration of the program.
Stipend: The scholarship provides a monthly stipend to cover living expenses, such as meals, transportation, and other basic needs.
Books and supplies: The scholarship provides an allowance for books and supplies for the duration of the program.
Travel expenses: The scholarship covers the cost of one economy round-trip airfare for the student to travel between their home country and Ghana at the beginning and end of the program.
Internship and career development: The scholarship provides access to internships, mentoring, and career development programs to help scholars prepare for employment after graduation.
Leadership development: The scholarship offers training and development opportunities to help scholars develop their leadership skills and contribute to their communities.
Applicants must provide proof of their eligibility through supporting documents, such as transcripts, certificates, and financial statements, as part of the application process.
To be eligible for the KNUST Mastercard Foundation Scholarship, applicants must meet the following criteria:
- Be a citizen of a sub-Saharan African country
- Have completed secondary education in the last two years and have obtained an excellent WASSCE or GBCE certificate with a minimum of grade C6 for all subjects studied.
- Demonstrate financial need
- Have an outstanding academic record and a strong commitment to academic excellence, leadership, and community service.
- Be willing to participate in the KNUST Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program’s activities, including community service, mentoring, and leadership development.
- Be willing to return to their home country after completing their studies and use their education to contribute to the development of their country.
- Meet the KNUST admission requirements for the chosen undergraduate or master’s degree program.
The selection process for the scholarship is highly competitive, and meeting the eligibility criteria does not guarantee selection.
Applicants for the KNUST Mastercard Foundation Scholarship are required to provide the following documents as part of the application process:
Completed application form: Applicants must fill out the online application form available on the KNUST or Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program website.
Academic transcripts and certificates: Applicants must submit their high school and/or university transcripts and certificates. These documents should show academic performance, course grades, and the overall grade point average (GPA).
Test scores: Applicants may be required to provide their SAT, ACT, or other standardized test scores, depending on the degree program and the admission requirements.
Personal statement or essay: Applicants are typically asked to submit a personal statement or essay that outlines their academic and personal goals, their commitment to community service and leadership, and their reasons for applying to the scholarship program.
Two letters of recommendation: Applicants must submit two letters of recommendation from academic referees, such as teachers, guidance counselors, or professors, who can attest to the applicant’s academic performance, character, and potential.
Financial documents: Applicants must provide proof of financial need, such as tax returns, bank statements, or other financial statements that demonstrate the applicant’s inability to finance their education without external support.
Passport photograph: Applicants must submit a passport-size photograph.
The application requirements may vary depending on the degree program and the scholarship requirements. Applicants are advised to check the specific application requirements and deadlines for the KNUST Mastercard Foundation Scholarship before applying.
How To Apply Online
To apply for the KNUST Mastercard Foundation Scholarship online, follow these steps:
- Visit the KNUST or Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program website and locate the scholarship application portal.
- Create an account on the application portal by providing your email address and choosing a password. Make sure to verify your email address before proceeding.
- Fill out the application form with accurate and up-to-date information. Be sure to complete all required fields and attach all necessary documents, including transcripts, test scores, essays, and letters of recommendation.
- Review your application carefully to ensure that all information is accurate and complete.
- Submit your application online by clicking the “Submit” button. You will receive a confirmation email once your application has been successfully submitted.
- Wait for the selection process to begin. The KNUST Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program will review all applications and notify successful candidates by email or phone.
If selected, follow the instructions provided by the scholarship program to accept the award and enroll at KNUST.
Also make sure to provide accurate and complete information and submit all required documents to increase your chances of being selected. Good luck!