The call is out for the second edition of the Kofi Annan Award for Innovation in Africa, presented by the Kofi Annan Foundation in collaboration with the Austrian Federal Chancellery. This prestigious award seeks to empower social entrepreneurs who bring digital or technology-powered solutions to address pressing issues across the African continent.
Program Sponsor: Kofi Annan Foundation
Host Institution: The Austrian Federal Chancellery
Funding Amount: Fully funded
Number of Awards: Multiple
Study Level: Social Entrepreneurs
Applicants aspiring for the Kofi Annan Award must meet specific criteria, including:
- Operating as a for-profit legal entity incorporated for at least two years
- Having a solution anchored in at least one African country
- Demonstrating existing contacts or a presence in the country of implementation
- Addressing priority topics outlined in the call for applications
- Reaching a market of more than 1 million people
- Being at least at the Minimum Viable Product (MVP) stage
- Having a committed founding team with a minimum of three full-time employees
- Providing evidence of user/customer validation
- Developing a clear path to commercial viability and financial sustainability
- Having a potential plan to implement as part of the 12-month Sprint program
- Focusing on aspects such as food security, employment and income generation, and/or climate resilience and natural resource protection
Application Focus: Sustainable Development Goal 2 Zero Hunger
The second edition of the Kofi Annan Award puts the spotlight on Sustainable Development Goal 2 – Zero Hunger. The program aims to enhance the resilience of African food systems by supporting innovative and digital solutions in food security and agritech. Priority topics include the inclusion of marginalized groups in food security, enhanced nutrition for women, and circular solutions to reduce post-harvest losses.
To apply for the Kofi Annan Award, follow these steps:
- Complete the Application Form
- If you know of a relevant venture or solution, submit it through the Referral Submission Form
- Successful applicants will participate in a fully virtual WFP Innovation Bootcamp in February 2024
February 8, 2024
Even if you feel your idea isn’t fully ready, don’t hesitate to apply. A pool of solutions with a focus on climate-resilient agriculture is being created for potential future programs.
The Kofi Annan Award for Innovation in Africa is not just an opportunity for recognition; it’s a platform to scale impactful solutions that contribute to the continent’s sustainable development. Apply now and be a catalyst for positive change.