The pursuit of higher education often comes with financial challenges, especially for those from underprivileged backgrounds. Recognizing this, The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) has launched its International Scholarship Programme (ISP) for the academic session 2024-2025.
This esteemed program aims to provide exceptional scholars from selected countries with the opportunity to pursue postgraduate education in reputable institutions worldwide.
Overview of the Scholarship
The AKF ISP is a globally renowned initiative designed to support outstanding scholars who lack the financial means to pursue their studies. Through a rigorous and competitive selection process, the foundation identifies deserving candidates and offers them the necessary funding to pursue Master’s (MSc) and Doctoral (PhD) degrees. The scholarship covers all expenses, ensuring that scholars can focus on their academic pursuits without financial burdens.
To be eligible for the AKF ISP, candidates must meet several criteria:
1. Academic Excellence: Applicants must possess excellent academic records, demonstrating their commitment to scholarly pursuits.
2. Educational Background: Candidates should hold a Bachelor’s degree or possess equivalent training/professional experience relevant to their field of study.
3. Financial Need: Demonstrating genuine financial need is crucial for consideration. The foundation seeks candidates who lack alternative means of financing their studies.
4. Funding Plan: Applicants are required to construct a thoughtful and reliable multi-source funding plan, showcasing their resourcefulness and dedication to securing their education.
5. Admission to Reputable Institutions: Successful candidates must gain admission to reputable postgraduate institutions recognized by the AKF ISP.
6. Leadership Potential and Extra-curricular Activities: The foundation values candidates with strong leadership potential, professional experience, and a track record of extracurricular or entrepreneurial achievements. Volunteer contributions are also considered favorably.
7. Age Preference: While not mandatory, preference is given to young professionals under the age of 30.
The AKF ISP is open to candidates from selected countries, including Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Egypt, India, Kenya, Kyrgyz Republic, Madagascar, Mozambique, Pakistan, Syria, Tajikistan, Tanzania, and Uganda. Additionally, applicants from Canada, France, Portugal, and the USA are eligible if they originate from one of the aforementioned countries.
Applications for the AKF ISP are managed by local units of the Aga Khan Foundation, Aga Khan Education Services, or Aga Khan Education Board. Prospective applicants must liaise with the appropriate country-level entity to request an application form. For instance, applicants residing in India must apply via the local office in India, while those in Kenya must do so through the local office in Kenya.
It is important to adhere to the specified deadline for submission, which is March 31, 2024. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
The Aga Khan Foundation’s International Scholarship Programme stands as a beacon of hope for aspiring scholars worldwide. By providing financial assistance and support to talented individuals, the foundation aims to empower the next generation of leaders and change-makers.
Through this program, deserving candidates have the opportunity to fulfill their academic aspirations and contribute meaningfully to their communities and beyond. The AKF ISP exemplifies the foundation’s commitment to fostering education, excellence, and global citizenship.