The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) offers a range of scholarships for postgraduate studies to individuals from developing countries who have no other means of financing their education.
These scholarships are awarded on a merit-cum-need basis and are intended for students pursuing advanced studies in specific fields that are relevant to the development needs of the AKF’s target countries.
The scholarship covers tuition fees, a monthly allowance, and other expenses such as airfare and health insurance. The application process typically opens in the fall, and the deadline for applications is usually in the spring.
About Aga Khan Foundation
The Aga Khan Foundation (AKF) is a private, non-denominational development agency established by the Aga Khan, the spiritual leader of the Ismaili Muslims. The foundation was established in 1967 and has since worked to improve the lives of people in some of the poorest and most marginalized communities in the world.
The foundation’s work is focused on three main areas: health, education, and economic development. Its programs aim to improve access to quality health care, education, and economic opportunities for people living in developing countries. The foundation also works to promote social cohesion and to empower women and girls.
The AKF operates in over 30 countries in Asia, Africa, and the Middle East, with a focus on countries where the Ismaili community is concentrated. The foundation’s work is implemented through partnerships with local organizations, governments, and international agencies.
The AKF is a non-profit organization and is funded by the Aga Khan Development Network (AKDN), a group of development agencies working in different sectors and regions. The AKF is also supported by individual donors and foundations.
To be eligible for an Aga Khan Foundation scholarship, candidates must meet the following criteria:
- They must be citizens of a developing country, and the country must be on the list of eligible countries for the scholarship.
- They must have a good academic record and must have completed at least two years of undergraduate studies.
- They must be applying to pursue postgraduate studies in a field relevant to the development needs of their home country.
- They must demonstrate financial need and have no other means of financing their education.
- They must be committed to returning to their home country after completing their studies to contribute to its development.
- They must meet the specific requirements of the scholarship program they are applying for, which may include language proficiency and professional experience.
Here are some general documents that may be required include:
Completed application form: The application form should be filled out accurately and completely.
Academic transcripts: Official transcripts from all universities and colleges attended should be submitted.
Test scores: Scores from standardized tests such as the GRE or GMAT may be required, depending on the program.
Essays: Some scholarship programs may require essays on topics related to the applicant’s academic interests, career goals, or development experience.
Letter of recommendation: One or more letters of recommendation from academic or professional references may be required.
Proof of citizenship: A copy of the applicant’s passport or national ID card is required as proof of citizenship.
Proof of financial need: Candidates must demonstrate financial need and have no other means of financing their education.
English proficiency test: if English is not your native language, you may be required to submit scores from a test such as TOEFL or IELTS.
The benefits of an Aga Khan Foundation scholarship can vary depending on the specific scholarship program and the country in which the applicant is based. However, some general benefits of an AKF scholarship include:
Tuition fees: The scholarship typically covers the cost of tuition fees for the duration of the program.
Monthly allowance: Scholars are often provided with a monthly allowance to cover living expenses such as housing, food, and transportation.
Airfare: The scholarship may cover the cost of airfare for travel to and from the country of study.
Health insurance: Scholars may be provided with health insurance coverage for the duration of their studies.
Research support: Scholars may be provided with additional funding to cover the cost of research-related expenses.
Networking opportunities: Scholars may have the opportunity to network with other professionals in their field and develop professional connections.
Career development opportunities: Scholars may have access to career development resources and support to help them transition to professional life after graduation.
Opportunities to contribute to development: The scholarship program could give the Scholars the opportunity to contribute to the development of their home country after graduation.
It’s important to note that this information is generally applicable but it’s always recommended to check the official website for the most recent and accurate information and the specific benefits for the scholarship program you are applying for.
How To Apply Online
The application process for Aga Khan Foundation scholarships is typically done online. The process may vary depending on the specific scholarship program and the country in which the applicant is based.
However, the general steps to apply for an AKF scholarship are as follows:
- Check the eligibility criteria: Before applying, make sure that you meet the eligibility criteria for the scholarship program you are interested in.
- Gather required documents: Prepare all the required documents, such as transcripts, certificates, test scores, and essays, as specified in the application instructions.
- Create an account: Go to the AKF website and create an account. You will need to provide basic personal information and choose a username and password.
- Fill out the application form: Once you have created an account, log in and complete the application form. Be sure to provide accurate and complete information.
- Submit the application: After filling out the application form, submit it along with the required documents.
- Wait for a decision: The AKF will review your application and notify you of the decision via email. The process may take several weeks or months, depending on the program.